My blog post today is in response to a client for whom I am planning a vacation for her, her husband, and 3 children to Walt Disney World. This family received their Magic Bands in the mail today for their upcoming vacation, and a band was included for her child under age 3. Her question to me was, “Does my child have to leave this band on their arm for our whole vacation? What if he hates it?” My answer: No! Your child under age 3 does not have to wear the Magic Band that Disney has sent for them. In fact, the band is likely to only open the door of your Walt Disney World Resort room and do nothing else. Disney sends a Magic Band for every person that is registered in your vacation party, no matter their age.
Tip: Don’t leave the Magic Band for your child under 3 at home! My 2 year old loves wearing hers when we visit the parks, and likes to pretend to scan it along with everyone else when we use our Fast Pass Plus reservations!
If you don’t know what a Magic Band is, here is a quick summary:
- Magic Bands are Disney’s new technology that replaces the old Key to the World cards. Magic Bands are RF (radio frequency) enabled cards that are inside a colorful wrist band.
- Magic Bands are made from a hypoallergenic material.
- Magic Bands open the door to your resort room if you are staying at a Walt Disney World Resort.
- You can add room charging privileges to your Magic Band and pay for things at the resorts and in the theme parks.
- Fast Pass Plus reservations for attractions are stored on your Magic Bands.
- Magic Bands are complimentary if you are staying at a Walt Disney World Resort.
- Magic Bands can be purchased in the theme parks if you are not staying at a Walt Disney World Resort.
- Magic Bands are one size fits all and can be adjusted to fit smaller children by tearing away the outer plastic edge.
- Accessories are now available at the theme parks to spice up your Magic Band, like covers and charms.
- RF cards are available to those that do not wish to use Magic Bands, or are not staying at a Walt Disney World Resort.
Happy travels and memory making!